Friday, March 27, 2009

We all live in a yellow submarine.

Question for the day. Is a school bus yellow or orange?

Many people have recently been asking a little bit about me and what it is I do. So, in response, I thought I’d post it FYI. About three and a half years ago, I made the goal to start my own architectural and interior design business. This field of work is one of the great loves in my life. It is also a goal of mine to work for myself and be enabled to run my business out of our home. Well, after completing all the legal formation documents, obtaining licenses and establishing a website to showcase my services and portfolio, I opened my business LLC. It was a lot of work, but it has been a big check off on my list of goals.
The wheels on the bus go round and round!

Meanwhile, while I’ve been building the business, establishing a clientele and waiting out rough spots in the economy, I have also been employed at Mesa Public Schools. This too has been a wonderful job! Specifically, I transport Special Ed students to and from their important programs and their schools. I love it! Honestly, I sometimes smile when I think about how I get paid to do something I thoroughly enjoy. It is such a rewarding job as well. There are few places on earth where you can feel very close to heaven. One of these places is in a Special Ed bus full of perfect spirits trapped in imperfect bodies. And the service opportunities overflow continuously. Don’t get me wrong though, sometimes the bus atmosphere can also be a living you know where. But, for the most part, I love doing what I do. I also drive preschoolers and kindergartners during the lunch hour. Just yesterday, one of my five year old boys on my bus asked me “did your mom buy this for you?” He was referring to the bus. I chuckled about that the rest of the day. I had to explain that the school bought the bus so that he could have a way to go there. Another cute moment happened at Christmas time. I was attempting to correct some behavior problems, and so I expressed that they all needed to be good because Santa Clause was watching them. Just after saying this, a little girl spoke up and said, “And Heavenly Father.” I smiled about that for days! But, she’s right!
Some people's kids are really dog ugly! J/K

If you don’t mind, I’d like to add that bus drivers, among numerous other overlooked professions, are very hard working, patient and loving people. People often under estimate what it is they have to accomplish every day. Have you ever been in a car with a screaming kid, been late, and been stuck in traffic? If you have, I want you to multiply this by however many students are on board your bus. Sometimes 70! Now, your goal at this point would be to stay polite despite every reason to fly off the handle, drive safe despite all the hazards, and be on time despite everything that holds you up. On top of that, you would have to discipline, intervene, and be encouraging. You would also have to build a relationship of trust with your students and their parents and teachers. Having witnessed the kinds of bad drivers I see on the road every day, I want you to know that it is a miracle that students rarely get hurt or in an accident during their transport. Bus drivers are good drivers. This also has a lot to do with the fact that the buses are very safe and are inspected by the drivers themselves prior to each trip. And believe me, this inspection is required and is very thorough and extensive. One last thing, though some drivers look a little shaggy and shady, many drivers are very educated people who have retired from various professions. Don’t misjudge the job. I was surprised to learn that many drivers were once lawyers, police officers, doctors and school teachers. So, next time your child gets on or off a school bus, please take a moment to thank their bus driver. They likely love and care for your kids too!

3 comments:

Jaclyn said...

That's cool that you drive a bus for the children. My father-in-law does it, too in Chandler and also loves it. I have also worked with special needs children and I remember thinking good luck to the bus driver who took them home after having a bad day :)

nate and amy crandell said...

Cameron I think you worked with my husband Nate! he was a bus driver too and starting a roofing business of his own. Now he is just doing the roofing but I rem. him saying he worked with you!

Anonymous said...

We love our bus drivers! I'm not sure I could ever do the job, but I appreciate how safe they are with my precious cargo. It's not easy seeing your kids get onto a bus and worry about whether or not they will be safe, but knowing how much they do and the compassion they have makes it a little bit easier. We wish you could drive for our school district, Rea would love it.....though I'm sure she would miss Mr. Jim.