Friday, May 9, 2008

AP Test Anxiety

I have never experinced something quite like this. Here I am, it's 5 in the morning and I can't sleep 'cause I know there is a gigantic test that a bunch of kids are going to take. And I was the one to prepare them for it. I have anxiety.

Did they study last night? I really prayed that they did. Because it sounds like most of them didn't study at all until yesterday. Janae, remember when me, you , and Ben studied? How much did we study before the actual test?I was so confident that their scores would be good until yesterday. I had given them a practice multiple choice and most of them scored about 10 percent below passing. Then I realized that I didn't deduct an extra 1/4 a point, like AP does, for every one you miss. The last 2 timed essays I gave them, many of them didn't even finish in the time. I am so freaked out that they will write crap essays or fail the multiple choice.

It is so weird to be the underdog school. Coming from Mt. view, where kids come to you with most of the abilities they need to pass an AP test, even going there myself, I am used to that attitude of hard work. We did whatever it took. I am working with kids who are way below the level, whose writings are filled with sentence fragments and misspellings. They are generally lazy, except for about 10 of them. There are about 8 realy strong writers. I love all these kids though.

Anyway, so I am going to school today to give a test to the rest of the kids who aren't teaking the AP exam. I will be wondering what essays my kids are writing, praying that the questions are something I taught themm praying they will write fast. And then after today I will wait. This agonizing TWO month wait until the scores come out. And then next year I'll do it all over again.

Hey, but I got a call yesterday that someone wants to be my student teacher! Wouldn't that be awesome? I didnt' even know I was old enough to have one. The only thing is I would not want her to teach my AP classes. Janae, remember that crap student teacher in history that almost ruined our year? Anyway, so I'm going to ask if she could just teach my regular history. Yes, my schedule has changed again. I will have 2 AP's , 2 regular, and one economics. That's nuts! Three classes to prep every day. I really hope I get pregnant this summer 'cause if stress is causing it not to happen now, that could very muich be the case this fall.

6 comments:

Vagabond Mother said...

Happy BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!

kay said...

hope u got my facebook Happybirthday msg.! anxiety... thats a sure thing with the AP's. Whether u give them..or teach them!

good luck for all ur students!!

-keyomi

Lacy said...

Where are you teaching? You've been tagged on my blog!

Cassie Lee said...

I teach at Westwood! Go warriors!

♥HANNAH♥ said...

GO TOROS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

l 1
l 1
l 1
lllll
11111 <- thats supposed to be a
11111 sign!

♥HANNAH♥ said...

GO TOROS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

l 1
l 1
l 1
lllll
11111 <- thats supposed to be a
11111 sign!

whoa it got all messed up!! oh well.. go toros!