Monday, September 28, 2009

Help! She Won't Eat Solids!

Ok, that title made it sound worse than it is. But I know there's lots of you with expertise out there. Tell me if you 've ever had this happen and what you did or have heard of.

I started her with all veggies the first couple of weeks. Then came all the fruits. She then rejected all the veggies. She got such a taste for bananas that she started just wanting those. She even refused the sweeter ones like squash and sweet potatoes.

I've tried mixing things with cereal. She'll only eat cereal with bananas. She started eating those fruit/veggie combos like apple &carrot but she's been rejecting those for 4 days now too. And a lot of times she's too tired /cranky /hungry to even want any solids.

I am going crazy!!!11 It's such a pain to prepare /warm food 6 to 8 times a day and maybe she takes it once. If I'm lucky, twice. What can I do?

4 comments:

Scott and Kim said...

First of all, 6-8 times a day seems too much. Most people only start with 1 meal a day then work up to 3 total. So you might need to cut back frequency. Second, take away the fruits for while. I only gave Bryce fruit mixed with cereal in the morning. That's the only time he had fruit. I didn't want him to reject everything else. You might have a baby who rejects food for a few days until you break her of that habit.
Third, you might want to try making the baby food - check out freshbaby.com - it's got the recipes and it tastes SO much better than the bottled stuff, and it's cheaper!
Good luck! Call me if you need more help!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with the first comment 100%. Also, as much as I sound like a deadbeat mom for saying this, I HATE MEALTIME! It is sort of a pain until they get old enough to feed themselves. The thing to remember is she won't starve herself so don't stress too much if she seems picky.

Cassie Lee said...

Thanks guys! I did try no fruit for awhile but then she was getting no solids. I did that for about 5 days and just nursed. She finally took some sweet potatos mixed with a fruit. Maybe I just need to try that again.

As for the 6 to 8 times, that's how many times I try to get her to eat 3 meals. She was eating three meals a day for a week about a month ago. Now I'm trying to make it three meals so when she refuses I try again. Anyway, so she's not really eating that many times. Usually onec maybe twice.

Robin said...

I think you also need to make sure she's hungry. Fight the urge to nurse her for a while and then only offer her food. When they are hungry they will eat really well. If it were me, I would try feeding her first thing in the morning, before you nurse her. That is a great time, because they are SO hungry. She'll do it, you just have to be strong. Good luck!