Friday, October 10, 2008

"Brainstorm" and is my fly open?


So this year I was conned into becoming the coach of the Brainstorm team at Westwood. This is a trivia game that is similar to Jeopardy and it's actually on TV. Each team has 3 players and they have buzzers. The host is named Dave, and acts like any other normal game show host.


The pic above is some random team I found online. So here's why I'm sharing this story. As a pregnant woman whose pants and skirts don't fit right now, I'm always looking for an excuse to dress casually at work. I also started a routine 3 years ago that on Tuesdays and Thursdays I basically don't do my hair. I put it in a clip or pony tail. So the day of the Brainstorm filming happened to be a Tuesday. I dressed down, not thinking that other coaches from other schools may be dressed up. I wore a blue Westwood t-shirt, khakis that barely zip up, and sandals.
My team on the other hand, wore black suits. The other coach that came with me wore dress pants and a tie. So I was looking a tad on the shoddy side. To top it off, I have a cut on my cheek that hasn't healed and it's huge and red. I don't put makeup on it so it can heal.
So we get to Phoenix for the filming and the other teams and coaches are there, all professionally dressed. They ask who the coach is for Westwood and the lady says, "Oh! I thought you were one of the students." Yeah, I get that all the time. Then I find out that during the filming of the show, I will be called out of the audience to be introduced. So I frantically go to the b-room, put makeup on my cut which makes it look worse close-up I'm sure, and I tuck in my shirt. I realize that the fly area of my pants is folded so that it's going to look like my zipper is down. Not good. But oh well, what could I do? I was feeling self-concious.
So I joked with one of the students about her saying during the show, "I just want to give a shout out to my coaches' unborn child." I was joking, but of course she wanted to do it. So the time comes. They call me out to be on camera. Picture me standing awkwardly in front of those boys in that picture, my fly looking like it's down, bad hair, totally underdressed. So it comes to the girl's turn and she says, " This is my coach, Mrs. Lee. She's pregnant."
Awkward silence. No one really knew how to react, especially the host. And all the camera people and judges just stared at me. It was a rather embarrassing moment, I have to say.
So guess what? It will be out there in living rooms across Arizona on November 19th. If anyone has Cox channel 7, it's on at 6:30 pm. You can T-vo it for me and we can all have a good laugh.
Lessons of the day: 1. It's better to be overdressed. 2. Don't announce pregnancy on a game show.

7 comments:

Hayley said...

My sister did High-Q in high school. Once she got a question wrong and put her head down in shame. On the way down it hit the buzzer. It was funny.

This post was hilarious. Seriously, Cassie, I'm so in love with you.

Anonymous said...

Cassie I love your stories! I wish I was in AZ so I could watch the show!

Bobbi Jo Nichols said...

Cassie we will be watching you all 9 of us. Your post was so funny! You crack me up.
How are you feeling? Hope you are taking care of yourself.
Can't wait to see you on TV.
Love ya, Aunt Bobbi Jo

mrs. dph said...

Cass, this is a classic.

♥HANNAH♥ said...

i agree w/ trace....classic!

The Frosts said...

That is one of the best stories I've ever heard! Wait a make me laugh.

Scott and Kim said...

So I took your advice that it's better to be overdressed at a church dinner on a Sunday night (break the fast). I felt a little overdressed for still being in Sunday clothes, (half of the people were and half weren't) but I laughed inside thinking of you!